Tuesday, March 25, 2014

DIY CNC Build in Switzerland - Building the CNC base frame

Next step is to build the base for the CNC structure. In order to build the base frame I needed aluminum with thickness 15 mm. This is so hard for me to find in Switzerland. I found an aluminum profile in a local store which is actually used in ceilings of houses or alignment of curtains:)
This profile was 2m long. It has a support in the middle as you see in the above picture. But this was still not strong so after cutting the profile according to my design, I decided to support it with some wood internally.
Now it is time to drill some holes:) Drilling is the trickiest part actually. The holes must be accurate to have the structure align correctly. I have measured the points several times before drilling.
I have used my drill press to drill the holes. If you don't have a drill, build a drill guide to have right angle holes.
Now the holes were drilled, time to assemble the base...
The connection of the aluminum profiles is done with 4 aluminium profiles. In my sketchup I have only 2 but I realized that it would be good to have more support:) Last picture above shows the gantry placed in the base frame to visualize how will it look like after I finish the assembly. And, here comes the most tricky part up to now. The linear bearings are wider than the profile I used.
In my design, I have used an aluminum plate to connect the bearings to the profile.
Again measure several times and drill once. This is the most importartant moving piece that you will drill. So it must be incredibly accurate.
I have calculated the holes based on the rail datasheet and checked the holes several times. It was already late night so I could not finish drilling the rail plate. So till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment