Thursday, March 27, 2014

DIY CNC Build in Switzerland - Linear Rails for Y Axis -Fail :)

This post will be showing how I failed with my first attempt for Y axis :D. I am sorry for the people waiting for a post with actual working results. But I had no success with what I did. I will explain you what failed and how I will fix the issue. The target was to attach the linear bearings to the gantry and attach the steel rod to the bearings for sliding on Y axis. Previous post shows how I intend to build a connection plate between gantry extrusions and bearings. I drilled the holes to the plate.
As you see above I have the bolts sticking out of the aluminum plate, so I needed to cut out some piece from the holes with a special cutter bit.
The bolts must have zero clearance from the plate surface to fit perfectly to the extrusions. In order not to lock on the rod, you need to leave the bolts not tightened. I pushed the rod through and tightened the bolts later.
What I got was a good base for Y linear motion that could be attached to gantry.
What I expected was failed! The problem was not the rail block that I built, but the gantry extrusion that I was bolting. When I started bolting and tightening the bolts, the steel rod locked in the rail and did not move at all. This was due to the thickness of aluminum that I selected as plate(3mm). If I loose the bolts the gantry slides but there occurs a backlash like movement in z axis. So all the work is now trash:) I will solve the problem with an MDF or HDF piece under the gantry. Also one more benefit. I will move the linear bearings under the cutting table so this will reduce the probability of getting dust into the linear bearings. Hopefully I will publish a success story next time :)

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get your materials in Switzerland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you are in Switzerland:) It is very hard actually, I go to Metall Laden in Zurich. Or you can buy stuff from Bossard. I sometimes go to Konstanz to buy,

    ReplyDelete