Tuesday, April 29, 2014

DIY CNC Build in Switzerland - Finished mechanical structure Details and Electronics - Part 1

Greetings! I have already posted a photo of the finished mechanical base for the CNC but I did not have time or energy to post the details. So in this post I will present some details and start building the electronics, cabling and the rest.

So lets start. I have mentioned that I did not like the look of the MDF in its raw color. So I painted the wooden pieces in blue.
As you may guess, I needed to disassemble everything to do this:) I reassembled everything and it look really cool in blue:)

While mounting I struggled a lot to get the timing belt in correct alignment and tight:) This turned out to be a nightmare of my CNC project. If you need more support I can create a new post just for belt tension and mounting. Let me know.
For the face plate that I will cut on top, I cut an aluminum plate and drilled some guide holes. As you may remember I told cutting thick aluminum is hard. I bought a new precision blade for my saw which is specially built for aluminum. It cuts aluminum like butter, but makes enormous amount of noise.


 Now it is time for cabling the steppers. Time to solder things together.
I used a project box to organize the cables to the side of gantry.
 In the meantime, I realized that the CNC makes a lot of vibrations and this causes a lot of noise. So I mounted rubber legs to the bottom of the CNC first.
For the cables under the gantry, I used a staple gun to attach the cables under the gantry.
Next is mounting the project box to the gantry side. I used a lot of shrink tubes to organize the cables.
 For moving the cables with the axis movement I used a 10mm cable carrier.  I drilled a hole to the gantry and tapped the hole with M4 for mounting the cable carrier.

 For the spindle, I did not like the standard cable at all. It was so thick and not bendable. So I replace the spindle cable with a better quality cable to use within cable carrier.

 And the current state.

 See you soon. Let me hear you comments...

1 comment:

  1. Hello....which type of spindle you have used in this machine ?

    ReplyDelete